Transforming Your Basement
The possibilities of a basement are endless – there is so much that can be done to transform that space into an amazing usable addition to your home. However, before you begin your planning process, there are a few things to consider:
1) Check your basement for any water issues. You will want to look for stained walls, pools of water or any type of moisture coming through the below grade walls.
2) It is important to look into your city’s code requirements. Some cities require you to obtain permits before you do any construction work. There are also certain codes that you must adhere to when designing your space.
3) Consider a drop or suspended ceiling. These types of ceiling provide easy access to electrical and plumbing lines. They are also a more cost efficient option.
4) Because the ceiling height in most basements is limited, it may be a good idea to go with recessed lighting. They don’t take up overhead space and are an easy install with a drop/suspended ceiling.
5) It may make sense to install heating vents at floor level due to warm air rising.
6) Make a list of how you would want to use this basement. It is best to get a clear idea on the different types of spaces you will need.